Disaster Recovery Assistance for Individuals, Businesses, Private Non-Profits, Farmers & Ranchers

Share This Page

Individuals, businesses, private non-profit organizations, farmers, and ranchers who have incurred losses as a result of 2017 disasters can use the interactive California map below to identify federal disaster assistance programs currently available within their county. Instructions on how to use the map can be found under the “How to Navigate” tab on the map.

Disaster Recovery and Services Directory

This Disaster Recovery Assistance Resources Directory lists programs and services for California residents and businesses impacted by disasters. The following information can also be downloaded and printed for distribution in the Disaster Recovery Assistance & Services Brochure.



 As a result of a disaster, the Governor may issue an Executive Order that allows special fee waivers and filing extensions for replacing important government records (i.e., birth and death certificates, identification cards, etc.). For fee waiver and filing extension information related to a specific disaster, contact the following state departments: Department of Motor Vehicles, California Department of Public Health, Franchise Tax Board, and/or the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration. Contact information for each of these departments is listed below.

​​Equal Housing Protection

Homeowners, homebuyers and tenants have protection from housing discrimination under California Civil Rights laws through the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). The law prohibits discrimination in all aspects of the housing business, including: Renting or leasing, sales, mortgage lending and insurance, advertising, and practices such as restrictive covenants, as well as permitting new construction.

​​Health Information

For information on health concerns related to a disaster you can contact (916) 650-6416 or visit the California Department of Public Health preparedness page.

Emergency Assistance

The American Red Cross

The American Red Cross (Red Cross) provides emergency food, shelter, and disaster health and mental health services to individuals and families that have been affected by a disaster. Contact the ARC at 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767).

If you have been affected by a disaster, “SAFE and WELL” provides a way for you to register yourself as “safe and well.” From a list of standard messages, you can select those that you want to communicate to your family members, letting them know of your well-being. For more information, visit the Red Cross website.

The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army provides a variety of services including help with food, household needs, clothing and personal needs. For more information call 1-800-SALARMY (725-2769) or visit the Salvation Army website.

​Disaster Program Assistance

Individuals, businesses, private non-profit organizations, farmers, and ranchers who have incurred losses as a result of 2017 disasters can use Cal OES’ interactive California map above to identify whether the following federal disaster assistance programs are currently available within their county.

U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Loan Program

SBA offers homeowners disaster loans of up to $200,000 for primary residence repair/replacement. Homeowners and renters may borrow up to $40,000 to repair/replace personal property. Businesses of all sizes and private non-profit organizations (PNPs) may borrow up to $2 million to repair/replace damaged real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory and other business assets. SBA can lend additional funds to homeowners and businesses to help with the cost of improvements to protect, prevent or minimize the same type of disaster damage from occurring in the future. SBA also offers Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDLs) to small businesses for working capital needs caused by a disaster. EIDL assistance is available regardless of whether the business suffered any property damage.

Applicants may apply online using SBA’s secure website. Disaster loan information and applicant forms are available from SBA’s Customer Service Center by calling (800) 659-2955 or by email at disastercustomerservice@sba.gov.

US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA) Emergency Loan Program

USDA-FSA offers emergency loans to farmers and ranchers with family-sized farming operations to recover from physical and/or crop production losses due to a disaster. Farmers and ranchers can borrow up to 100% of actual production or physical losses, to a maximum amount of $500,000.

Applicants should contact the USDA-FSA office listed in the local telephone directory under U.S. Government, Agriculture or go to the USDA-FSA website for additional information.

US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)

In the wake of recent California flooding, USDA-NRCS is offering technical and financial assistance programs to California landowners faced with erosion and flooding in a damaged watershed. For more information on available NRCS assistance, visit www.usda.gov.

​​Employment Assistance

Job Services:

The California Employment Development Department (EDD) and local partner agencies at all America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM locations throughout the state offer a wide variety of employment services, such as job search and referrals, and training. Job seekers and employers can connect with thousands of available job opportunities and qualified candidates through CalJobsSM, California’s online labor exchange system. You can also search for the nearest America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM on their website.

Unemployment Benefits:

Workers who lose their jobs due to no fault of their own, such as in the case of a disaster, may be eligible for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits. The quickest and easiest way to apply is online. If you already have a UI claim, the best way to re-open your claim is through UI Online. Visit the California Employment Development Department (EDD) Unemployment Insurance Claims page.

UI claims also can be filed by telephone at (800) 300‑5616. For Cantonese, call (800) 547-3506; For Mandarin, call (866) 303-0706; For Spanish, call (800) 326-8937; For Vietnamese, call (800) 547-2058; For TTY, call (800) 815‑9387.

​General Assistance Programs

The following general assistance programs are administered within each California County and may provide assistance to eligible individuals affected by a disaster.

  • CalFresh: visit the CalFresh website or call (877) 847-3663
  • CalWORKs: contact your local county welfare/social services department.
    To find your local office visit the CalWORKs website.
  • Crisis Counseling: contact your local county mental health department.
  • To find your local office, view the contact list on the California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) website.
  • Women, Infant, Children (WIC) Supplemental Nutrition Program: visit the WIC website and click on “Join WIC” or call (888) 942-9675.


Senior & Disabled Adult Services

The California Department of Aging contracts with and provides leadership and direction to Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) that coordinate a wide array of services to seniors and adults with disabilities. You can locate an AAA in your area by calling (800) 510-2020; TTY (800) 735-2929 or visit the AAA Listing page.

​Insurance & Rebuilding Assistance

California Department of Insurance (CDI):

The California Department of Insurance provides assistance on insurance issues, such as claim handling delays, additional living expenses, underinsurance disputes, availability, etc. If you are experiencing difficulty with the processing of your claim or wish to have an underinsurance issue investigated, contact the officers at the CDI’s Consumer Hotline at (800) 927-4357; TTY: (800) 482-4833 for assistance. For additional information you may also wish to visit the Getting Help page on the CDI website.


Contractors State License Board (CSLB):

The Contractors State License Board verifies contractor licenses, investigates complaints, and provides helpful information about hiring a licensed contractor. For information on hiring or filing a complaint regarding a contractor, disaster victims may call CSLB's Disaster Hotline M-F from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. at (800) 962-1125, or the 24-hour automated telephone response system, (800) 321-2752.

Licenses can also be verified online on the CSLB website. You can also view the CSLB video, “Rebuilding After a Natural Disaster” and additional disaster resources on the CSLB Disaster Help Center.

Housing and Community Development (HCD):

The California Department of Housing and Community Development can assist with manufactured housing questions including repairs, installations and/or registration and titling. For information on obtaining construction permits for manufactured homes or parks contact the Riverside Area Office at (951) 782-4420 or the Sacramento Area Office at (916) 255-2501.

For information concerning Registration and Titling call (800) 952-8356; TTY (800) 735-2929 or visit the HCD website.

For other types of housing recovery funding opportunities, please contact your local housing or economic development department.

​​Record Replacement Assistance

California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):

The California Department of Motor Vehicles can respond to questions and provide the forms needed to assist individuals in replacing DMV documents, such as driver licenses, identification cards, vehicle cards certificates and certificates of title, that were lost as a result of the disaster.
Contact DMV at (800) 777-0133; TTY (800) 735-2929 or (800) 368-4327 for hearing or speech impaired or visit the website the DMV website.

California Department of Public Health (CDPH) – Vital Records:

The California Department of Public Health is working with those who have lost vital records as a result of the disaster. Birth, death, and marriage records should be requested from the county recorder’s office in the county where the event occurred.
Visit CDPH's list of county recorders or you may call (916) 445-2684; TTY 7-1-1 or (800) 735-2929

​​Tax Assistance


California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA):

Emergency tax or fee relief is available from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (formerly the State Board of Equalization (BOE)) for business owners or feepayers directly affected by disasters. Relief may include the extension of tax return due dates, relief of penalty and interest, or replacement copies of records lost due to disasters. For questions or assistance regarding sales and use tax, or special taxes and fees, contact the CDTFA at 1-800-400-7115 (TTY: 1-800-735-2929) or visit the CDTFA website.

California Employment Development Department – Assistance for Employers:

CA employers who are directly affected by a state of emergency may request up to a 60-day extension to file their state payroll reports and to deposit state payroll taxes with the California Employment Development Department (EDD), without penalty or interest. For further information, visit EDD’s Emergency and Disaster Assistance for Employers page, or call the EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center at (888) 745-3886; TTY (800) 547-9565.

Franchise Tax Board (FTB):

The Franchise Tax Board provides guidance in obtaining tax relief for disaster casualty losses. Contact FTB at (800) 852-5711; TTY (800) 822‑6268 or visit the FTB website and search for keyword "disaster losses".

Internal Revenue Service (IRS):

For information on Disaster Assistance and Emergency Relief for Individuals and Businesses, visit the IRS website and search for keywords “Disaster” or "Disaster Assistance", or contact the Internal Revenue Service at (800) 829‑1040; TTY: (800) 829‑4059.

​Veterans Assistance

California County Veterans Service Officers (CVSO):

The County Veterans Service Officers plays a critical role in the Veteran’s advocacy system and is often the initial contact in the community for Veterans’ services. The CVSO is committed to providing a vital and efficient system of local services and advocacy to Veterans, their dependents and survivors. To find the nearest CVSO call (844) 737-8838 or visit the CVSO website.

California Department of Veterans Affairs:

If you have a home loan with the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet) and your home has suffered structural damage caused by a disaster, contact our CalVet Claims adjuster at (800) 626-1613. This line is open 24 hours a day. For additional information visit the CalVet website.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs:

If you need information regarding Veterans Affairs (VA) health care, death benefits, pensions, disability claims, or other information related to VA, contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at (800) 827-1000; TTY (800) 829-4833, or visit the Inquiry Routing and Information System (IRIS) website.

Contact Us

For questions and general information regarding disaster recovery assistance programs, contact Cal OES Individual Assistance Division
at (916) 845-8149.


ICE Page